Standing Up and Speaking Out:Your 501(c)3 Advocacy Rights
In-person | Richmond, CA
Now more than ever, your community is relying on you to stand up for them. If you think your 501(c)(3) public charity status prevents you from advocating for new laws and policies, think again! Whether pushing for quality education, protecting the rights of undocumented immigrants, or demanding safe communities for everyone, you can legally advocate for public policy and community change at every level of government. After this workshop, you’ll have a clear understanding of:
- Your 501(c)(3) organization’s right to lobby;
- What does and doesn’t count as lobbying;
- Your annual lobbying limit; and
- How to make the most of your organization’s lobbying power.
This workshop will be combined with the "Nonpartisan Advocacy in Partisan Times" training, this training covers the federal tax law rules about nonpartisan activities for 501(c)(3)s, including how to:
- Advocate for your organization and your community in a nonpartisan way;
- Safely educate the public about the candidates and the issues at stake;
- Wisely engage your community in voter registration and get-out-the-vote efforts; and
- Weigh the risk factors when creating and sharing public policy communications, especially social media.
This event is led by a Funding Information Network partner.